Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Beginning of the Novel...-2

I just started reading the book and I have read only two chapters yet, so I barely know what is going on, but unlike what I thought before reading the book, the story starts off at the end of World War II. In a previous post, I said I chose this novel because I like reading stories that deal with the consequences of wars, but I thought it would briefly talk about what happened during the war and then move on, like other typical war novels that I have read so far. It does seem to describe about the war, but it is depicted only by people's recollection, especially by the Black injured man who is taken care of by a nurse called Hana. Caravaggio, Hana's father's friend, also indirectly shows how horrible the war was because all of his fingers except thumb were cut off by Germans while he was in captivity. I'm really not sure of what's going on yet, but the plot of the story seems interesting so far.

2 comments:

  1. Hi William~!
    I'm curious about your ideas. You told us how war changed the physical appearance of main characters. Then how did the war affect the mind states of English patient, Hana, and Caravaggio?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, in page 50, it says like Hana became less and less emotional to watching injured soldiers die, so all people who experienced war became cold and emotionless...???

    ReplyDelete