Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Why The English Patient??? -1

 My group members and I chose the book called The English Patient by a SriLankan-Canadian author Michael Ondaatje for the Inquiry Project. The main reason I voted for this book is that its historical background is World War ll. I like reading war novels, especially the ones that deal with the aftermath of the wars. Also, Ondaatje's ethnicity made me become interested in the book because I expected that I could learn about the points of view or culture of a Sri Lankan melted in the book, which are not familiar to me. I know that all authors put their culture-related opinions into their books, either on purpose or unconsciously. Lastly, I could be sure of my choice when I learned that this novel received many awards, the fact which proves that the book is worth reading it. One of my friends actually started reading it and says he loves the storyline, too, so I am expecting a lot from The English Patient. I will start reading it very soon.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoy the novel. Your Inquiry question will evolve as you read and discuss with your group. Just keep at the back of your mind what relevance what you're reading has to do with your life and the world around you. It'll help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your advice! And I wasn't quite done when you were commenting on this... TT

      Delete
  2. Hi William!
    I hope you love reading this novel. I suddenly got curious about Ondaatje's Sri-Lankan heritage after reading your first reflection. So, have you find out how his heritage affected his book yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not yet, I just started reading it, but I guess I will eventually. Haha. We are in different blocks, but let's find out together and discuss it!!!

    ReplyDelete